- 1/2 kg chicken
- 2 medium sized chopped onions
- 4 tbsp of ghee or 8 tbsp of oil
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup thick curd
- 1/2 cup malai
- 1 tbsp cashewnut powder
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds powder
- 3 or 4 green chillies (split)
- Marinate the chicken in ginger garlic paste, curd, pepper and salt for two hours.
- Add ghee/oil in the preheated pan.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add chicken to this and fry till the ghee separates.
- Add cashewnut and poppy seed powder to thicken the gravy.
- Add water for desired consistency.
- Add split green chillies.
- Now cover and let it cook till the chicken is done.
- Turn off the gas and add malai.
- Garnish with corriander.
Variations that I did:
- I used oil and not ghee
- I did not have cashewnut and poppy seed powder, so I soaked cashewnuts and poppy seeds in water for about 1/2 hour and then made a thick paste of it together.
- I did not add malai. Found the gravy too creamy even before adding malai so avoided it.
- In the garnish I also added mint leaves.